Want to Spring into radiant, healthy skin the natural way? Then check out our latest top tips. Plus, our Resident Skincare Reviewers choose the best natural beauty products to get that Spring glow on!
Exfoliate for brighter skin
As skin ages, the natural exfoliation process slows down, leaving the surface with a build-up of dead skin cells. Exfoliate face and body once or twice a week to slough off old skin, allowing a smoother, brighter and more radiant complexion to emerge.
For your face: You can either choose to use a facial scrub with small exfoliating particles in it to buff away the dead skin cells or use a product which contains natural acids (AHAs) which help to gently dissolve old skin. Those with very sensitive or spot-prone skin types may find some facial scrubs too harsh and could benefit from using a product containing natural fruit acids instead.
Best Natural Acids for Exfoliation (AHA’s)
- Kakadu Plum is one of the best natural sources of antioxidant vitamin C. Also rich in phenolic acid which works to gently exfoliate surface skin cells for a brighter appearance and smoother texture.
- Fruit Acids from Citrus Fruits including: Papaya Fruit, Bilberry, Grapefruit, Lemon and Orange. These acids gently yet effectively exfoliate skin to reveal smoother more radiant skin and encourages cell renewal for lasting results.
Top tip: Be careful to only use dedicated facial scrub products on your face! Some body scrubs contain far too harsh particles in them and will damage delicate facial skin.
For your body: Skin is much tougher on our bodies so we can use scrubs with sugar and sea salt scrubs for an invigorating buff up in the bathroom. Body brushing is also very popular, dry brushing pre-shower is known to help detoxify by increasing blood circulation and encouraging lymph drainage.
Top tip: Find an oil-based scrub as it acts as a body moisturiser, saving you time and effort after a shower!
Get out the SPF
If you have not already, now is the time to seriously think about your sun protection strategy. According to Cancer Research UK melanoma skin cancer is the 5th most common cancer in the UK and since the early 1990s, melanoma skin cancer incidence rates have more than doubled (128%) in the UK. It’s a sobering thought but it is absolutely vital to protect yourself and your young children (if you have them) to the Sun’s damaging rays.
Top Three Suncare Facts:
- Cover up on a cloudy day. Up to 40 percent of the sun’s ultraviolet radiation reaches the earth on a completely cloudy day. This misperception often leads to the most serious sunburns, because people spend all day outdoors with no protection from the sun.
- Most people under-apply sunscreens, using ¼ to ½ the amount required. Using half the required amount of sunscreen only provides the square root of the SPF. So, a half application of an SPF 30 sunscreen only provides an effective SPF of 5.5!
- The SPF (Sun Protection Factor) scale is not linear: SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays; SPF 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays; SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays (only 4% more protection than SPF 15 sunscreen)
The good news is that there are now lots of effective natural sunscreen products to choose from. Head to our Natural Beauty Club on Facebook for the latest recommendations or check out our new plastic-free sunscreen range in store.
Top tip: Swap your facial moisturiser with a built-in SPF for a dedicated sunscreen product which offers much more protection. And buy a beautiful hat!
Embrace lighter layers
Like our Winter coats headed for the attic, skin will benefit from swapping heavier moisturisers and balms for a lighter alternative such as a facial oil, serum or face lotion. This is particularly needed if layering with an SPF product.
There are many effective natural ingredients which nourish skin and allow it to breathe in the warmer weather such as:
Jojoba oil – one of the closest things to the natural oils the body produces, which is why your skin will easily drink it up. It’s full of nutrients that can help heal blemishes, dry and cracked skin, and improve your skin’s overall texture.
Hyaluronic acid – a natural and powerful moisture binding substance that delivers gentle hydration to where skin needs it most. Suitable for all skin types, including the most sensitive.
Marula oil – a light oil and a skin regenerating beauty secret which has been used for centuries to rehydrate and protect skin from the elements. This natural oil is rich in vitamins E and C and is a rich source of Omega 9. Known to calm skin inflammation, redness and sensitivity. Protects skin cells, reduces the appearance of fine lines for a more radiant skin tone.
Olive Oil Unsaponifiables – an oil rich in both squalane and squalene. The high percentage of phytosterols and glycolipids help replenish those lipids lost from the skin. Made from a component of Olive Oil, it is easily absorbed by the skin and is ideal for dry or sensitive skin types.
Argan oil – naturally full of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins A, B, C, and E. Great for skin, nails, hair and mature skin types. Has a very low comedogenic rating, meaning that is less likely to block pores in the warmer weather.
Rosehip Seed Oil – super absorbent and light enough to wear under makeup.
Go Clean & Green
Time for a Spring Clean! Before you dig out last year’s bottle of body lotion or sunscreen, make sure you check the use by date or look for the Period After Opening symbol.
Remove the product and recycle any containers that are showing to be out of date – that includes all makeup products. Clean your makeup brushes. Not all bacteria is visible to the naked eye. Use your nose – if a product smells ‘off’ then it probably is. If in doubt, don’t risk it! (It can also be much harder to tell with some High Street products that use strong artificial fragrances)
Now is the perfect time to make some clean, green beauty swaps! Review your use of plastic packaging and look for plastic-free alternatives where possible. You could use this Spring clean an opportunity to simplify your routine into just a few simple essentials to enjoy radiant, glowing skin:
- Natural Cleanser
- Natural SPF product (face & body)
- Light natural facial serum, oil or lotion
- Skin Treatment (such as an overnight serum)
- Exfoliation product (could be multi-tasking one such as a cleanser)
- Natural Body Scrub with built in Moisturisers
- Natural Soap
- Natural Shampoo
Best Radiant Spring Skincare Products in Store
Our Skincare Resident Reviewers have been busy Spring-cleaning their routines and choosing their favourite Rare Beauty products for some skincare inspiration:
Best Facial Oils & Serums
What are your top Spring skincare tips? Please share with our tribe here!